By: Crystal Alba
If your kids are anything like mine, breakfast is always a debate in the morning. She’s either too tired or just unmotivated to eat. We have been sticking to our routine of getting ready for school but I noticed that including her input and her cooperation to making breakfast in the morning can be a change of course for us. A positive start to the morning calls for a positive day right?
Here’s a favorite breakfast that is M.O.M.’s and KID APPROVED!
CINNAMON TOAST MUFFINS!
For the muffins:
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter- melted
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the topping:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
To make the muffins:
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan. Measure all dry ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Stir together the wet ingredients- milk, eggs, and vanilla in a separate small bowl until combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients and the melted butter into the dry ingredients and stir until batter is smooth
- Evenly pour batter in prepared muffin tin
- Bake muffins for 15-18 minutes until centers have risen
- Allow muffins to cool 5 minutes, then remove them from the pan then make your topping!
To top the muffins:
- Place melted butter in a small bowl. In a separate small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon.
- Dunk warm muffin tops into melted butter, allowing any excess to drip off, and then roll the muffin tops in the cinnamon sugar.
- Repeat process for all remaining muffins. Once each has been coated, dunk them one last time in JUST the cinnamon sugar to add a second layer of topping.
- Serve warm and enjoy with a cup of coffee or hot cocoa
As we indulge in our yummy breakfast treat, leave us some of your favorite breakfast treats for your kiddos!
Thanks for tuning into our short blog post this week. Back to school has been a nuance for us this year! But we survived!